The Department of Sports and Recreation employs over 250 student employees, making our department one of the largest student employers on campus. Student employees have major roles in our overall operations. We are looking for dependable and reliable students to help facilitate the programs and services we offer.
Applicants must have excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude in serving our students and other recreation members. Mandatory meetings are scheduled throughout the semester. Most positions require a minimum of 12 hours per week during fall and spring semesters and a minimum of 6 hours per week during the summer semester. Hours worked can range from early mornings to late nights and weekends. Students must be enrolled at Kennesaw State for a minimum of six credit hours during the fall and spring semesters.
Join the Team
Select “Student,” to view current student positions offered within our department. Sports and Recreation offers a great variety of student positions within our department! A cover letter and resume are required to submit your application with our department. Interviews are scheduled on an as needed basis.
Student Employment Positions
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Instructor
The Group Exercise Instructors are enthusiastic and motivating individuals who lead fun, safe and effective exercise classes through a variety of formats, such as indoor cycling, yoga, cardio fitness and strength training. Primary responsibilities include programming and teaching fitness classes, customer service, and assisting with special events.
All Group Exercise Instructors are required to attain a nationally recognized certification. Practicum opportunity availabloe for individuals not yet certified.
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Instructor - Practicum Program
The Practicum Program is offered to develop future OwlFit Group Exercise Instructors. Practicum participants are mentored and guided toward a nationally recognized certification and the ability to lead safe and effective group exercise classes. Practicum Instructors are motivating individuals with a desire to lead and guide their participants through an effective workout with enthusiasm.
[NOW HIRING] OWLFIT : Personal Trainer
The OwlFit Personal Trainer team designs individual exercise programs that assist client in accomplishing their individual fitness goals to develop a rewarding experience. All OwlFit Personal Trainers must possess a personal training certification by a nationally recognized organization.
Primary responsibilities of an OwlFit Personal Trainer include:
- Building rapport with clients
- Evaluating each client’s baseline fitness level
- Prescribing safe and effective exercise programs tailored to the individual
[NOW HIRING] OWLFIT : Personal Trainer - Practicum Program
Ready to start helping others but not sure how to get there? The process to become a personal trainer is incredibly rewarding but requires patience, time and commitment. The OwlFit Personal Training Practicum will help you get there, and even pay you to do it!
- Applicants should submit cover letter, resume and copies of relevant credentials and
certifications if applicable.
Practicum participants must:
- Demonstrate an interest in exercise principles, kinesiology, and biomechanics.
- Shadow/co-train 40 hours of personal training sessions under the guidance of a personal trainer.
- All Shadowing/co-training hours must be completed within a 5-month period.
- Assist the mentor personal trainer during shadowing/co-training assignment.
- Applicants should submit cover letter, resume and copies of relevant credentials and certifications if applicable.
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Staff Lead
The Group Exercise Staff Leader will work alongside the Group Exercise Coordinator to ensure that the Group Exercise program is delivering excellence in programming and customer service to the KSU Campus Community.
Current fitness student staff members interested in applying for the Group Exercise Staff Leader position, please contact the Group Exercise Coordinator, Gabby Sciacchitano via email: email@example.com
OWLFIT : Personal Training Lead
The Personal Trainer Lead will work alongside the Personal Training Coordinator to ensure that the Personal Training program is delivering excellence in programming and customer service to the KSU Campus Community.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serving as a main point of contact in the Personal Training Coordinator's absence
- Serve as liaison between clients, personal trainers, and the Personal Training Coordinator
- Maintain client information and filing
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events
1. Possess a current Personal Training Certification (NSCA, ACSM, NASM, AFAA, ACE, etc...).
2. Possess current CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications.
3. Ability to work an additional 2-3 hours per week in addition to normal training sessions.
Current fitness student staff members interested in applying for the Personal Training Leader position, please contact the Personal Training Coordinator, Dusty Jackson via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Nature Bound Trip Leader
The Nature Bound Trip Leader is responsible for planning and implementing trips for KSU students in our Outdoor Activities program.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting the Nature Bound program.
- Advertising trips in order to fill them with participants.
- Driving a 12-passenger van (if 21 years of age).
- Completing all pre-trip paperwork including risk management documentation.
- Buying food and preparing meals for trip participants.
- Completing gear inspections before and after trips.
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Bicycle Technician
The Bicycle Technicians repair, assemble and test bicycles for KSU patrons. They might also complete custom bicycle modifications. Primary job responsibilities include maintaining operating hours for the Bike Shop which provide basic bike tune up service for KSU patrons, and maintaining the department's bikes available for checkout to the KSU patrons. To work as a Bicycle Technician, students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA.
Required/Desired Skills: strong customer service skills, strong oral and written communication skills, experience with outdoor equipment and mechanical skills, and a cyclist
Pay rate: $8.00/hr
- Outdoor Adventures Bike Shop is currently not hiring for this position. Thank you for your interest.
[NOW HIRING] OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Desk Attendant
The Outdoor Adventures Desk Attendant is responsible for checking in/out outdoor equipment available for the convenience of KSU patrons, answering questions about Outdoor Adventures, and conducting trip (...). To work as a OA Desk Assistant, students must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
Required/Desired Skills: strong customer service skills, strong oral and written communication skills, experience with outdoor equipment and familiar with the Nature Bound Trip Program
Pay rate: $7.25/hr
Lifeguards at the Recreation Activity Center are responsible for the safety of everyone in the Aquatic center. This includes both the Kennesaw and Marietta Campus Recreational Facilities: one outdoor pool, two indoor lap pools, and spa area. Lifeguard staff's main responsibility will be to survey patrons and monitor safety in the pool, in addition there will be opportunities to instruct swim classes. Certified lifeguards are preferred but not necessary, training will be provided. All applicants must be able to swim, a swim test will be administered.
Prerequisites: Swim 300 yards continuously, tread water for 1 minute, recover a 10lb brick from 10 ft. of water, and swim 20 yards to the end of the pool. For more information contact Patricia Roper at 470-578-4839 or email@example.com.
RECREATION FACILITY : Facility Attendant
Facility Attendant will
- Ensure safety of participants by inspecting the facility, analyzing issues, and reporting unsafe conditions to the Facility Manager
- Clearly articulate and enforce Recreation Center use policies and procedures while providing superior customer service to staff and participants
- Inspect, issue, and store equipment and supplies and report defective equipment to the Facility Manager
- Apply training when operating point-of-sale terminals for equipment checkout
- Work with others to perform facility and equipment set-ups and break downs
- Take initiative and apply training to perform basic custodial and maintenance of building and equipment keep facility safe, clean, and hazard-free
- Resolve conflicts, disputes, and minor problems as they arise
- Work with others to conduct emergency evacuations and respond to emergencies
- Enhance group effectiveness by performing other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications: Student technicians must be currently enrolled in at least a half-time credit load (at least 6 hours) at KSU with the primary goal of achieving a degree. Also, to work as a M2, students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
RECREATION FACILITY: Service Desk
The Service Desk staff ensure authorized access and use of the facility. Also, assists in greeting, screening, referring visitors to the appropriate recreation program and staff, provide accurate information and answer questions regarding hours of operations, programs, and policies.
Required Qualifications: Student assistants must be currently enrolled in at least a half-time credit load (at least 6 hours) at KSU with the primary goal of achieving a degree. Also, to work at the service desk, students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
[NOW HIRING] MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS : Student Marketing Assistant
Multimedia Marketing Assistant helps with group and event photography and videography for Sports and Recreation programs and services. Student must have competency in Adobe Suite editing programs such as light room, photo and video editing, DSLR photography proficiency, and design of informational signs/posters using Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.Apply Now
INTRAMURALS : Sports Official
The Intramural Sports Officials are responsible for officiating intramural contests and assisting in game management or intramural sports including flag football, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and other activities. Officials are asked to demonstrate rules knowledge, enforce program rules and policy, assist in managing recreational facilities, and provide high levels of customer service to create a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for intramural participants. Previous officiating experience is not required but an interest in sports is encouraged.