The Department of Sports and Recreation employs over 250 student employees, making our department one of the largest student employers on campus. Student employees have major roles in our overall operations. We are looking for dependable and reliable students to help facilitate the programs and services we offer.
Applicants must have excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude in serving our students and other recreation members. Mandatory meetings are scheduled throughout the semester. Most positions require a minimum of 12 hours per week during fall and spring semesters and a minimum of 6 hours per week during the summer semester. Hours worked can range from early mornings to late nights and weekends. Students must be enrolled at Kennesaw State for a minimum of six credit hours during the fall and spring semesters.
Join the Team
Select “Student,” to view current student positions offered within our department. Sports and Recreation offers a great variety of student positions within our department! A cover letter and resume are required to submit your application with our department. Interviews are scheduled on an as needed basis.
Student Employment Positions
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Instructor
The Group Exercise Instructors are enthusiastic and motivating individuals who lead fun, safe and effective exercise classes through a variety of formats, such as indoor cycling, yoga, cardio fitness and strength training. Primary responsibilities include programming and teaching fitness classes, customer, assisting with special events and customer service.
All Group Fitness Instructors are required to attain a nationally recognized certification. Certifications are not required prior to hiring. Instructors will earn certifications by attending a workshop and/or studying for an exam after hiring. Instructors will attend in-house training to prepare for certifications.
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Instructor - Practicum Program
The Practicum Program is offered to develop future OwlFit Group Exercise Instructors. Practicum participants are mentored and guided toward a nationally recognized certification and the ability to lead safe and effective group exercise classes. Practicum Instructors are motivating individuals with a desire to lead and guide their participants through an effective workout with enthusiasm.
Primary responsibilities within the Practicum Program include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring participants and their ability to ensure proper use of equipment and technique.
- Demonstrating first aid safety, CPR, AED, and an emergency action plan of knowledge for the SRWC.
- Arriving to class 15 minutes early with music cued, class planned and equipment set-up.
- Staying for 15 minutes after class to put away equipment and be available for feedback from mentor instructor.
- Managing class attendance sheet and reminding class participants to sign in for EVERY class.
OWLFIT : Personal Trainer
The OwlFit Personal Trainer team designs individual exercise programs that assist client in accomplishing their individual fitness goals to develop a rewarding experience. All OwlFit Personal Trainers must possess a personal training certification by a nationally recognized organization.
Primary responsibilities of an OwlFit Personal Trainer include:
- Building rapport with clients
- Evaluating each client’s baseline fitness level
- Prescribing safe and effective exercise programs tailored to the individual
OWLFIT : Personal Trainer - Practicum Program
Ready to start helping others but not sure how to get there? The process to become a personal trainer is incredibly rewarding but requires patience, time and commitment. The OwlFit Personal Training Practicum will help you get there, and even pay you to do it!
- Applicants should submit cover letter, resume and copies of relevant credentials and
certifications if applicable.
Practicum participants must:
- Demonstrate an interest in exercise principles, kinesiology, and biomechanics.
- Shadow/co-train 40 hours of personal training sessions under the guidance of a personal trainer.
- All Shadowing/co-training hours must be completed within a 5-month period.
- Assist the mentor personal trainer during shadowing/co-training assignment.
- Applicants should submit cover letter, resume and copies of relevant credentials and certifications if applicable.
OWLFIT : Fitness Attendant
Looking for a great on-campus job in a fun fitness environment? OwlFit is interested in hiring fitness attendants to supervise fitness floors and ensure that our patrons have an effective and safe experience with us. A cover letter and resume are required for application submission.
OWLFIT : Fitness Associate
The Fitness Associate position creates opportunity for our KSU student staff to gain practical work experience through assisting the KSU Fitness Coordinator. Fitness Associates assist in the management of the fitness spaces, equipment and staff.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- the mastery and continued demonstration of duties defined at the Fitness Attendant level.
- maintain consistent communication with supervisor, fitness attendants and patrons through WhenToWork, D2L, email, phone, and/or other means as required by supervisor.
- Serve as liaison between Fitness Attendants and the KSU Fitness Coordinator.
- Coordinate training activities for new Fitness Attendant staff members
- Respond to Fitness Attendant inquiries, questions, and concerns in timely manner
- Provide job performance feedback regarding Fitness Attendant staff members
OWLFIT : Group Exercise Staff Lead
The Group Exercise Staff Leader assists the Group Exercise Coordinator in the management of group exercise.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintaining constant communication with supervisor, fitness staff, and patrons through WhenToWork, email, phone and/or other means required by supervisor:
- Keep regular "office hours" every week (4 times a month).
- Assist the Group Exercise Coordinator in hiring, training, and scheduling of fitness staff members.
- Demonstrate first aid safety, CPR, AED, and emergency action knowledge for the Department of Sports and Recreation and recreational facilities.
- Maintain client records and adhere to strict confidential ethical practices.
Current fitness student staff members interested in applying for the Group Exercise Staff Leader position, please contact the Personal Training Coordinator, Dusty Jackson via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
OWLFIT : Personal Training Lead
The Personal Trainer Lead will work alongside the Personal Training Coordinator to ensure that the Personal Training program is delivering excellence in programming and customer service to the KSU Campus Community.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serving as a main point of contact in the Personal Training Coordinator's absence
- Serve as liaison between clients, personal trainers, and the Personal Training Coordinator
- Maintain client information and filing
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events
1. Possess a current Personal Training Certification (NSCA, ACSM, NASM, AFAA, ACE, etc...).
2. Possess current CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications.
3. Ability to work an additional 2-3 hours per week in addition to normal training sessions.
Current fitness student staff members interested in applying for the Personal Training Leader position, please contact the Personal Training Coordinator, Dusty Jackson via email: email@example.com
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Nature Bound Trip Leader
The Nature Bound Trip Leader is responsible for planning and implementing trips for KSU students in our Outdoor Activities program.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting the Nature Bound program.
- Advertising trips in order to fill them with participants.
- Driving a 12-passenger van (if 21 years of age).
- Completing all pre-trip paperwork including risk management documentation.
- Buying food and preparing meals for trip participants.
- Completing gear inspections before and after trips.
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Bicycle Technician
The Bicycle Technicians repair, assemble and test bicycles for KSU patrons. They might also complete custom bicycle modifications. Primary job responsibilities include maintaining operating hours for the Bike Shop which provide basic bike tune up service for KSU patrons, and maintaining the department's bikes available for checkout to the KSU patrons. To work as a Bicycle Technician, students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA.
Required/Desired Skills: strong customer service skills, strong oral and written communication skills, experience with outdoor equipment and mechanical skills, and a cyclist
Pay rate: $8.00/hr
- Outdoor Adventures Bike Shop is currently not hiring for this position. Thank you for your interest.
OUTDOOR ADVENTURES : Desk Attendant
The Outdoor Adventures Desk Attendant is responsible for checking in/out outdoor equipment available for the convenience of KSU patrons, answering questions about Outdoor Adventures, and conducting trip (...). To work as a OA Desk Assistant, students must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
Required/Desired Skills: strong customer service skills, strong oral and written communication skills, experience with outdoor equipment and familiar with the Nature Bound Trip Program
Pay rate: $7.25/hr
- Outdoor Adventures is currently not hiring for this position. Thank you for your interest.
Lifeguards at the Recreation Activity Center are responsible for the safety of everyone in the Aquatic center. This includes both the Kennesaw and Marietta Campus Recreational Facilities: one outdoor pool, two indoor lap pools, and spa area. Lifeguard staff's main responsibility will be to survey patrons and monitor safety in the pool, in addition there will be opportunities to instruct swim classes. Certified lifeguards are preferred but not necessary, training will be provided. All applicants must be able to swim, a swim test will be administered.
Prerequisites: Swim 300 yards continuously, tread water for 1 minute, recover a 10lb brick from 10 ft. of water, and swim 20 yards to the end of the pool. For more information contact Patricia Roper at 470-578-4839 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECREATION FACILITY : Equipment Issue
Equipment issue staff is responsible for checking in/out facility and/or fitness equipment available for the convenience of the patrons; cleaning, inspecting, and ensuring that all equipment is ready for checkout, reporting any broken or damaged equipment to the Facility Manager.
RECREATION FACILITY : Fitness Attendants
The Fitness Floor Attendants are responsible for overseeing activities and safety in conjunction with the RAC indoor facilities and on fitness and open recreation equipment; address and properly refer maintenance concerns to appropriate entities in a timely manner; perform cleaning duties of equipment and fitness areas. Completion of other tasks/assignments are assigned.
RECREATION FACILITY : Maintenance Technician II
The Maintenance Technician II (M2) duties include familiarity with the respective cleaning/maintenance procedures, carry out cleaning and maintenance of the recreational facilities and equipment based on a daily schedule.
Required Qualifications: Student technicians must be currently enrolled in at least a half-time credit load (at least 6 hours) at KSU with the primary goal of achieving a degree. Also, to work as a M2, students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
RECREATION FACILITY: Service Desk
The Service Desk staff ensure authorized access and use of the facility. Also, assists in greeting, screening, referring visitors to the appropriate recreation program and staff, provide accurate information and answer questions regarding hours of operations, programs, and policies.
Required Qualifications: Student assistants must be currently enrolled in at least a half-time credit load (at least 6 hours) at KSU with the primary goal of achieving a degree. Also, to work at the service desk, students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS : Student Marketing Assistant
Multimedia Marketing Assistant helps with group and event photography and videography for Sports and Recreation programs and services. Student must have competency in Adobe Suite editing programs such as light room, photo and video editing, DSLR photography proficiency, and design of informational signs/posters using Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- The Marketing department is currently not hiring for this position. Thank you for your interest.
INTRAMURALS : Sports Official
The Intramural Sports Officials are responsible for officiating intramural contests and assisting in game management or intramural sports including flag football, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and other activities. Officials are asked to demonstrate rules knowledge, enforce program rules and policy, assist in managing recreational facilities, and provide high levels of customer service to create a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for intramural participants. Previous officiating experience is not required but an interest in sports is encouraged.